Born on September 3rd, 1988 in Tehran. At age 7, she acted in Mohsen Makhmalbaf’s, her father, film titled “A moment Of Innocence”.
At age 8, she made her first short film with a handycam camera titled “The Day My Aunt Was ill”. The film received international attention at Locarno Film Festival in 1997 when she was only 9 years old.
At age 14, Hana shot a documentary titled “Joy of Madness” in Afghanistan. This film premiered at Venice Film Festival 2003 and received 3 international awards.
At the age18, she made her first feature “Buddha Collapsed Out Of Shame” in Bamian of Afghanistan. The film went to receive enormous reception around the world receiving many prestigious awards including: "Crystal Bear" from Berlin Film Festival 2008, Special "Peace Award" Berlin Film Festival 2008, "Grand Jury Award" San Sebastian Film Festival 2007, The TVE Award “La Otra Mirada” Spanish TV Spain 2007, Unicef "Paolo Ungari" special award Rome Film Festival 2007, "Daniel Langlois Innovation Prize" Festival du nouveau cinéma Montreal 2007, "Woman & Equality Award" Thessaloniki Film Festival 2007 ….. and has been nominated to receive the Best Asian Film Award from Hong Kong Film Festival 2008.
Hana’s most recent film "Green Days" looks at the incidents during the last presidential election in Iran. The film has been screened in Venice film festival , Toronto Film Festival, San Sebastain international film festival,…. so far this year.
Hana has also published her first book of poetry ‘Visa for One Moment’ in 2003. She has been continuously working in Makhmalbaf Family films as Still Photographer, Script Supervisor and Assistant Director. She studied Cinema in Makhmalbaf Film School for 8 years before she graduated at the age 16.
1-The day my aunt was ill. (Short Film)
2- Joy of Madness. (Documentary)
3- Buddha collapsed out of shame. (Feature Film)
4- Samira & non professinal actors (Documentary)
5- Green Days (Feature Film)
1- The Apple, By: Samira Makhmalbaf, 1997
2- The Silence, By: Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1997
3- The Door, By: Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1998
4- The Day I Became A Woman, By: Marziyeh Meshkini, 1999
5- God, Construction Destruction By: Samira Makhmalbaf, 2001
1- The Day I Became A Woman (First Episode) By: Marziyeh Meshkini, 1999
2- Sex & Philosophy, By: Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 2005
3- Two-legged horse, By: Samira Makhmalbaf, 2008
1- Lisbon international film festival, Portugal, 2009
2- CPH:DOX Denmark international film festival 2009
3- Berlin International Film Festival 2010
4- Tbilisi International Film Festival, Georgia 2010
1- "Visa for one moment" 2003
1) Joy of maness: The youngest filmmaker on the world from Venice international Film Festival 2003.
2) Joy of maness: Special Mention Award from Associazione Cultrale le tre Ghinee in Venice Film Festival 2003.
3) Joy of maness: The Special Jury Prize in the 4th International Film Festival of Tokyo Filmex 2003.
4) Buddha collapsed out of shame: The Special Jury Prize From the 55th San Sebastian International Film Festival, Spain, 2007.
5) Buddha collapsed out of shame: The TVE Award “La Otra Mirada” by Spanish TV, San Sebastian International Film Festival 2007.
6) Buddha collapsed out of shame: Unicef "Paolo Ungari" special award, Rome International Film Festival 2007.
7) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Daniel Langlois Innovation Prize", Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal 2007.
8) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Woman & Equality Award", Thessaloniki Film Festival, Greece, 2007.
9) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Discovery Prize", Sarlat Film Festival, France, 2007.
10) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Crystal Bear", Berlin Film Festival, Germany, 2008.
11) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Special Peace Award", Berlin Film Festival, Germany, 2008.
12) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Special Award", Association Club de las 25, Spain, 2008.
13) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "ENI Windows on the World Prize" for the Best Feature Film, African Asian and Latin American Film Festival of Milan, Italy, 2008.
14) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Best Film FIPRESCI Award", 11th Flying Broom International Women's Film Festival Ankara, Turkey, 2008.
15) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Special Jury Prize", the 14th International Film Festival of Cinema Author, Morocco , 2008.
16) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Founders Prize", the 4th Traverse City Film Festival, USA, 2008.
17) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Silver Mirror" The South Film Festival, Norway, 2008.
18) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Golden Deer" the 38th Molodist Film Festival, Ukraine, 2008.
19) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Cine-club" (FICC jury) the 38th Molodist Film Festival, Ukraine, 2008.
20) Buddha collapsed out of shame: "Ecumenical jury" the 38th Molodist Film Festival, Ukraine, 2008.
21) Green Days: Bravery Award From the 66th Venice International Film Festival, Italy, 2009
22) Green Days: "Human Right Award" for courageous commitment in defending of human rights of women from Terre des Femmes ( Tuebingen) film festival, Germany, 2009
(Hana Makhmalbaf dedicated her award to to Mr.Amirentezam for spending 30 years in prison for his fight for democracy)
23) Green Days: "Best Director Award" From Human Rights International Film Festival, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan 2010
(Hana Makhmalbaf dedicated her award to an Iranian artist and filmmaker Mr.Nourizad who has been in prison on the grounds of writing painful, frank, daring and explicit letters to Khamenei "The main director of suppressing Iranian people" and has sacrificed his personal interests and benefits, for Iranian people.)
(24) A Doggy Life: "Best Film Award" From the Beirut International Film Festival, Lebanon, 2011
(Hana Makhmalbaf dedicated her award to the imprisoned Iranian filmmakers.)